Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Mozambique

I got one of the biggest frights of my life! I recently went to Mozambique. Its Sunday... about 5:30 am, it was overcast, and the sea was rough and unforgiving.

It was my last chance to go spear fishing before the drive home. I navigated my way into the surf and over the rocky point, at the same time, trying to avoid getting totally broken on the rocks which were being exposed when the water receded.

The water visibility was up to shit, only about 1.3m. I swam out about 700m in the hope of getting better vis, but I was shit out of luck, as it was as bad as the vis along the shore line. I went down to about 15m to see if I could find any game fish, I found nothing but disappointment and frustration.

I started my assent, muscles burning, and lungs stinging for air. As I was nearing the surface, I glanced down only to see a shark swimming straight for me! It was about 70cm wide pectoral fins splayed out telling me it’s pissed off with me being there! In one motion, I pointed my spear gun in its direction and I broke the surface, took a breath of air and I immediately plunged my head back under the water to try see where the shark was, but it had vanished into the murky water! I promptly made a quick exit plan and headed to the relative safety of the bay whilst regularly looking out for the shark! That was the longest swim of my life!




Im not too sure about this one...


Priorities'.






Part of a dead jelly fish.





Yet another dead jelly.


The local market.


A typical run down building in Mozambique.


A soccer game where most of the players had no shoes.




No comments:

Post a Comment